Skip to main content

Meet Spencer

Spencer was welcomed into our family on 11/10/2018.  He is the definition of an impulse buy and one of the best choices I have made.

I had gotten home form work and my fiancé said that we needed to go to the store to grab a few things.  I agreed, and we were on our way.  Normally, we don't go to Mattydale, but for some reason that's the area we decided to go to.  I insisted that we go into Petco out there.  The day before, I had just upgraded my adult betta tank and was looking for more decorations for it.  Plus I love to look at betta fishes in stores now.  While we were looking at the bettas, an employee was putting out all the baby betta fish cups.  I had never seen a baby betta before!  I also didn't realize for under $4, I could own one.

I spent a decent amount of time looking at the babies in the cups until I picked one out, and he was on his way home with us.  Since it was snowing out, I had him hidden under my jacket on our walk back to the car, and instantly wrapped him in a sweatshirt once we got in the car.

When we got home, instantly I began to set up his tank.  I have him in a smaller tank until he gets a little bit bigger.  Once he's larger, I'll be moving him into a 3.5 gallon tank.  I set him up with gravel, conditioned water, a plant with leaves large enough to lounge. I have a heater for him as well.  Once I allowed the tank to get to proper temperature, I added him, and let him be for a little while.  After about an hour I went back and gave him some food, just to show him that I am who gives it to him, and because I wasn't sure the last time he had been fed.

Since this is my first baby betta fish, I instantly turned to the internet to look up care for them.  I'm hoping that by doing all I am doing for baby Spencer will be enough to give him a long, healthy life with us.
Baby Spencer his first night with his new family

Comments